Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dinette conversion
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience converting or removing the dinette in a 74. We eat most of our meals outside and would enjoy having a more comfortable place to sit when on the move. I would rather install a pullout sofa in that section, but have two water tanks and a pump to deal with. Are those easily relocated and if so where is the best place. Probably won't tackle this project for a while just wanted to get thoughts on it or see other barth owner examples. Any advice/schematics/photos would be appreciated!

Posts: 27 | Location: Austin | Member Since: 01-01-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have searched a ton of combinations and didn't really find anything that either pertained to what I was looking for exactly or any process material. Thank you for that link, I did find that in my search...while it is interesting the size and layout don't work for my model. I'm starting to figure out not many barth remodelers document their process like they do on many of the other forums that I am a member of. Thanks for the advice!

Posts: 27 | Location: Austin | Member Since: 01-01-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
When you do get the layout you like, please post the pictures so we can share them. Sometimes we don't get much after people are done searching... never know what we missed.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I plan on it...In fact, I think I will document the whole process. I have always found it inspirational and informative when people have been able to photographicly document their steps as well as keeping their measurements for others to use and expand on. Breeds a more creative environment in my book!

Currently getting everything mechanically in order before I can focus on the cosmetic (so it might take some time)!

Thanks for being supportive Steve!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Crazyshakespeare, I have a 1975 Barth with a dinette and would also like to change to something more comfortable but there is no place to move the water tank or the fuel filler. We don't spend a lot of time inside so we just do the best we can. Tooling Along

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Mary

I'm a very new barth owner and most of that time it's been in the shop...I did notice the two tanks under each seat of the dinette but thought they were both fresh water tanks...forgive my ignorance but what is the fuel filler used for?

If I come up with a great redesign or work around I will be sure to share it!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Crazy, will try to post picture tomorrow, it is worth a 1,000 words Big Grin Tooling Along

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a very new barth owner

That's OK, everybody has to start from "zero"
just a thought: could a fuel filler be used to fill the fuel tank?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Crazyshakespeare13
posted Hide Post
I would imagine so, I was more asking the point of the filler vs walking outside and filling it on the pass. or drv. side compartments. It sort of seems like it would be pointless!

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/14
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you build a box and put a jack knife sofa over the whole works?? Just a thought.

Posts: 38 | Location: Centralia, Washington | Member Since: 01-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm considering it, and starting to think it might be the best option.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WCRV:
Couldn't you build a box and put a jack knife sofa over the whole works?? Just a thought.

That would raise the sofa.

It might be possible to shorten the sofa legs and weld mounting pads back on, but I would observe the operation to be sure that shorter legs allowed adequate swing room first.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good call Bill...Being over 6'5 I personally wouldn't mind the raised sofa as most sofas are too low for me but I need to realize not everyone is a freak like me lol!

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My jackknife sofa has a decent amount of space under it, and could accommodate a water tank..

The location of the water tank between front and rear axles is best, and should be on the opposite side of the generator for optimum balance. Some of this will be determined by the location of your black tank, as well.

If you feel adventurous, you can build a water tank to fit underneath the sofa, with little cutouts for the legs. Welding PE with a good welder is not too hard to learn.

Raising the sofa a little be extending the legs or making raised pads would fit your long legs and give you a little more water capacity.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming your Jack Knife was aftermarket? If so, can I ask what brand you installed?

The biggest issue with spacing is that I have a tank in both dinette seats. I have a feeling this is going to take so detailed thought before fully tackle the project.

Thanks for all the advice Bill, def. great food for thought!