Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Convert from 30 amp to 50 amp service
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Convert from 30 amp to 50 amp service
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 50A plug/receptacle IS 220VAC, however, inside the coach, this is split into 2x120VAC circuits, just as in a household breaker box with no 220VAC circuits.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert but I do know that Rusty is correct. 50 amp service is 240V and split to two 120amp lines at the box just like household wiring.

I bought this for generator switching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...3AL%3AOU%3AUS%3A1123

I hope it works.

Neil

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
After further inspection of the electrical box on the Budget Barth I found it is a 100 amp residential unit with two bus separate bus bars. They tied the bus bars together and used a 30amp breaker on one of the buses to power the box. This makes it easier for me, now I will install a 50 amp breaker in a separate box and will have 6 breakers in the main box to power the Barth. Two 20 amp for the A/C's, the rest 15 amp to power the original wiring, microwave, water heater and the wifes beautification appliances.
This site is very helpful:

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
One advantage I found with 50 amp service. I installed a 50 amp receptical in my electric cord storage box. Wired 1 side to a 120v-20a pigtale that I plug into my 2000w inverter.That 1/2 of my breaker box has the TV, microwave, 120v lights, powered by the inverter. the other 1/2 has the converter/charger,3 way fridge and front air that does not receive any 120v. My rear air is on the powerd side.I leave that breaker off when on inverter. I just plug my shore cord into the receptical any time I stow the cord. I leave the manual shore to gen switch on shore power. This works great for me and I don't have to worry about 120v and the inverter ever being tied together.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post