Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wiring a light at the door step
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of JoshS
posted
Has anyone run a wire for a light to shine on their step? I want to mount a small led light just below the door to shine down on the step. And I want it to be wired to the same switch as the door handle. The switch is just inside the door about 6 inches away from the top of the door handle.
So my question is does anybody know if i can run a wire strait down in the wall. Basically drill a hole from below and fish a wire from the switch down inside the wall through the floor and over to the the light.
Now that I write it down it sounds pretty strait forward. I just don't know if there is some heavy framing at the bottom of the wall I will have to drill through.

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Josh,
I tried mounting a 3 led light strip over the step and hated it. I switched it back underneath so it lights down behind the stairs. Make it red and it will not mess up your night vision. The light would shine in your eyes and make it tough to see. Mine already has a switch.

So I don't know if you have things in the way. Just thought I'd share what I saw in my tinkering.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
I agree with you in not messing with your night vision. But I don't think this light I have will. It is maybe a inch and a half long, mounts flat and is maybe a 1/4 to 3/8 thick with the leds shining down. It is for putting on a boat to illuminate walking area with out being to bright. It is amber colored. So basically any and all light will be directed strait down to the ground/step and not out in to my eyes. I will get a picture later and post it on here since my description sucks.

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Josh
Actually you described very well pics always good but I think I visualize what you are describing as I have seen lights like that. If it directs down it should work for you.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If you have Kwikee steps you should already have a light.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
If you have Kwikee steps you should already have a light.

"kwikee", I don't know. But it is not an electric step just a single pull out step. Most likely original.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/11
Picture of Manuel B
posted Hide Post
I put a 16' 4" white LED strip just under my awning, and an 8' warm white strip around my bed platform, going to do amber strips underneath my steps next,then my closet on a micro switch, and maybe my storage bays, the stuff is addicting.

And my bed,

Posts: 67 | Location: Alabama | Member Since: 04-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
In the 1988 Barths was called Mood lighting Wink

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Most LEDs have one intensity - Obnoxiously Intense. Big Grin

There isn't a setting called "mood" in most LEDs. Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I replaced all my isle lights with blue LED replacement blubs. Turn those on at night and it looks like your at the theater.
Hey Bill N.Y., they do look cool not obnoxiously intense, however your right there is no mood setting. I did find one web site that sells dimmer controls and dimmable LEDs. I guess that way you could set the "mood". Razzer

Jim

1985 Barth Regency 35ft
225hp DD - 4 spd Ally trans

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/11
Picture of Manuel B
posted Hide Post
My bedroom mood light is mainly for middle of the night mood visits to the bathroom,
The awning light is to light up the area, but it's also attracting a lot of June bugs, yesterday I added two amber strips underneath my Kwikee steps, haven't seen them in the dark yet,

Posts: 67 | Location: Alabama | Member Since: 04-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post