Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Aux puller fans
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
In my search to reduce the operating temperatures in high ambient and hard driving I added two auxiliary puller fans outside of the radiator. I finished the write up and can be read here:

aux fan install

I also finished the installation of the Xantrex RS3000 (severe mission creep on this one) but still have to do the write up on that one.

Will be heading out July 26 for a LONG "test run"!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Do I see a back-up light in the top picture?

Did you add it?

What is it?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, yes there are two back up lights that were there when I got the coach.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I couldn't be more pleased!!!! Took a 100 mile trip today in 95-99 degree ambient heat, never saw above 190 degrees, that is where the fans kick in, sure could tell when they did, the temperature would continue to rise until about 190 +/- and it would drop to 190 and taper off gradually if was at sustained power. Going up a slight grade never over 190. This was all at or near 70 MPH.

The most noticeable change was how fast it would drop when lifting, taking an off ramp with 190 showing, by the time I was merging on the next freeway it was at 185-180.

Repeating the trip at 65, the temp oscillate between 190 and 183, probably due to the hysteresis of the temperature controller.

On one repeat leg to get a baseline, I pulled the fuses to the fans and the temperature went to 205 on the same stretch of road, lifting did not bring the temp down much and was right back at 205 when up to speed on the next stretch.

Didn't have any grades to try but if this is any indication how it will work, I don't think I will be bothered again by high temperature. Looks like it is all about airflow.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Ed,
I still owe you a phone call and will do so shortly when I know I have some time to talk to you about your upgrades to your motor hp and trans.
In the mean time, though, I appreciate this input. I added a trans cooler to my Allison AT542 to see if that would help control the high temps I get going uphill. It has helped, but I am not totally satisfied. This might be the answer.....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Ooooop's, its not you I owe a call to about motor and trans upgrades, it's Gary Carter. Sorry about that. And Gary, if you are reading this, I will be in touch with you!

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post