Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Center Console for Our Regency
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
I have to say that I was never really happy with the design and layout of the center part of the dash on our Regency. So since I was redoing the dash heating/defroster system,, I got a case of the "might as wells". I decided to remove the small angled portion of the dash and build a console to house the gauges and switches. The new console will include two drawers and a small table top to hold the Laptop when on the road. I also plan to add two additional 12V cigarette lighter type outlets (one powered by the house batteries and one powered by the coach batteries and key operated) and a 120V duplex outlet that is powered by an inverter for use on the road to the instrument panel.

Project just under way, so wish me luck and I will try to post progress and final pictures of the project'

Looks like someone took a "Saws-all" to the dash Eeker

I hope I labeled all those wires correctly. That's a lot of wires. Confused

Skeleton of the center console. Sides are covered with a white vinyl like the dash

The Aluminum panel for the gauge/switch cluster was cut from an old beat-up traffic sign.

Face frame for the front of the console and the two drawers have been built. You might want to notice those dovetail joints on all four corners of the drawers. Thumbs Up

Hopefully this won't take all spring to complete. Will keep you posted.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I,ll take one in silver. By the way the Georgia State Dept of Transportation is looking for one of thier signs. ROTFLMAO

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I couldn't help but notice the dovetails. Craftsmanship worthy of a Barth. Well done, can't wait to see the finished product.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dovetail jig for the router, high-quality dovetail bit, and lots of practice (and patience) make it doable. Nick's got the "skillz".

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It's a shame to cover up such nice joinery.

I am a recovering dovetail a holic. Too much wasted lumber forced me to just use a Whiteside drawer lock bit. I haven't done any strength tests, but I believe that with modern glues, a good lock joint is as strong as a dovetail.

My friend, the cabinetmaker, says he does dovetails because people love them and pay well for them.

As a kid, I was intrigued by the finger joints on dynamite boxes.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/14
Picture of Jerry Jelsing
posted Hide Post
very Interesting. I have been looking at ours and contemplating what to do with that part of the dash. I too would like to change it and make it a little more useable. I look forward to see what you end up with!

Posts: 88 | Location: Green Valley AZ | Member Since: 10-31-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about modifying my Dash as well just this week... I will be removing the Dash A/C (should end up in the Swap Meet Section soon) and replacing it with a 21" LCD screen that will be used for Movies, Backup Camera and more. Thinking of doing a similar thing, running a 300w inverter off the coach battery to power it. This will be a standard Computer monitor. But will take inputs from my new DVD stereo that will replace the stock 8-track. (Again, might be up in the swap meet soon) Smiler

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog
http://73Barth.blogspot.com

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:

As a kid, I was intrigued by the finger joints on dynamite boxes.
Yeap, I play with those also. Really fun when you use two different types of wood that really contrast with each other.

Got a little more done today. Made the drawer fronts, sprayed the drawers & face frame, and fitted them to the console.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
You missed your calling Nick. It's a shame to think you wasted your talents being a bean counter when you do such nice "real" work!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I agree that the dovetails and finger joints are really classy, but what I want to know is what did you use to turn that old street sign into that instrument panel?

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack:
I agree that the dovetails and finger joints are really classy, but what I want to know is what did you use to turn that old street sign into that instrument panel?
Hole saws, router, jig saw, files, band saw, drill bits, countersinks. That's about all I can think of right now. ROTFLMAO

Nick

Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Installed the console today and am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Drawers should collect more of that completely unnecessary stuff we all carry with us.

A close up of the instrument panel. Lower right portion is the two 12v and Inverter 120V outlets.

I also made a new panel for the top of the dash. Both the new panel and the table top have an oak frame around them that sticks up 3/4" to keep things from rolling off.

Like I said "pretty happy with it".

Nick

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Nick. Don't get your foot caught in that red hose thing!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice work! Thumbs Up The fiddle boards are a good idea.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK Rusty, I'll bite. What are fiddle boards?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post