Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

542 upgrade
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
The Breakaway and I spent more than an hour with he North Florida Allison field tech. He did not think there was anything wrong with the AT 542 other than it being an AT 542. He talked with the Cummins expert who said “those old 5.9s will run forever wide open, don’t worry about the rpms”. When I asked about a 2000 he said that would not be a problem to install. I said I had a write-up to work from and he said “I’ve got it figured out already.” Then he said a 2000 would be expensive and I should look for a 1000 . He said the 1000 was stronger than the 542 so I could save a lot by going that way.
I Know the engine looses power the faster it spins , I am considering looking for a 1000 series 5 speed. It seems they can be had for about $1000-$1500 without a core charge.
Any Words of wisdom on this plan of action. Also the Allison tech said my tach is reading incorrectly. Is a direct replacement available if not what would be a good replacement.
Thanks
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
you'll have to drive thousands and thousands of miles to recover the retrofit cost with fuel savings 5sp vs 4sp. In fact, if the 1000 is 5sp w/o OD, savings will be negligible IMO.
What bugged me more the fuel consumption, running a non OD Alli in a 5.9 Breakaway, was limited cruising speed. I am not aware whether Turtle has done anything to increase it.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Good point. When I installed the Gear Vendors in my Barth, '85 454 TH400something, it was more for the engine than for fuel ecomomy. I wanted to be able to cruise at 60mph at something less than 3000RPM. One of these days, I'll install a tach and see what it's actually doing. I'm guessing about 2400RPM.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
wanna swap???

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/...nd-swap-guide-thread

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Doug, I presume you're not talking about Old Blue.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post