Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

awnings
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am going to winter in Parksville BC 100 miles south of me.Question!What mph will my awnings safely tolerate?Pulling out my awnings,and cracking my windows,set thermostat to 60degrees set dehumidifier to 50% and wear long johns should keep condensation to a minimum.Ilove outdoor cooking,thus helping the situation.Preventions are possible,cures with black mold are not.wally lucky owner of 34ft monarch that has been under cover most of its life please answer approx. safe wind speed.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Awnings and wind are a gamble.

I tilt the odds by extending my awning all the way out, sliding the telescopic uppers up fully, but not locking the knobs.

Then I roll up the awning until the telescopic uppers are collapsed and lock the knob. I then adjust the diagonal arms for head clearance.

This, of course leaves you with less coverage than a fully extended awning, so it is a trade off, depending on what you think the wind might do. In calm winds, we often extend the awning fully.

My awning has survived many wind events that ripped or pulled loose neighbor's awnings that were erected in the conventional manner.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Some of my neighbors at Hershey High Meadow, a couple weeks ago, ran their lower support arms to the ground instead of to the backets on the RV body. They had no diagonal support to walk into. They ran web straps with adjusters vertically from the corners of the awning frame to corkscrew style dog anchors in the ground.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
Some of my neighbors at Hershey High Meadow, a couple weeks ago, ran their lower support arms to the ground instead of to the backets on the RV body. They had no diagonal support to walk into. They ran web straps with adjusters vertically from the corners of the awning frame to corkscrew style dog anchors in the ground.

If a really big blow comes up, rolling up the awning might not be possible, or quick enough.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There is no sure-fire defense against wind damage; however, I never leave the awnings out if I'm away from the coach. Being an astronomer, I'm always connected to NOAA, Weatherbug, and The Weather Channel (using its Local Weather feature). Rarely does severe weather occur without warning.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post