Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water leaks
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Well I've seen that most Barths storage compartments are rusted out from water. I have the first compartment pass side gets wet can't find were the water get in any one have that problem

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Not sure your layout, I have had problems with a passenger side storage area getting wet but was from the shower drain. I also have both compartments up front get wet in the rain. Coming down from the window. I think I have the electrical box on driver's side fixed but not the other side.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Speaking of water leaks, I have a leak in the basement compartment, too. It appears the weatherstrip has a metal "spring strip" embedded in the rubber. The metal has rusted and no longer grips the flange. Does anyone know of a source for this type of weatherstrip? Thanks

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I know it's not the shower haven't used it yet I will look at gaskets I'm going to run a test tonight I have a car camera I just bought I'm going to set it up in the leaking compartment tonight it's going to rain to record were its coming from I will keep in let u all know what I find

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Steve

Try Dyers RV Supplies.

They carry some of those molding in their seals section

Ed

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed! Thumbs Up I figured someone had seen this stuff. I will check on that.

I think this is the stuff! Thanks Thumbs Up

http://www.dyersonline.com/ap-...h-slide-on-clip.html

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve
Try McMaster Carr. Under choose category, pick sealing, then door weather stripping, then bulb seals and I think you will find a match pretty reasonable.
Kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow, lots of choices! I will have to measure the originals carefully. Thanks, Kenny

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post

Evan you can drill out the rivets. Carefully separate the skin from the rusted frame.
I have replaced some of the rusted floor. New frame rails were installed. Then I replaced the old aluminum skin. Be sure to use close end aluminum rivets, with aluminum mandrels when installing the old skin. Someone may have used regular rivets. Open rivets will let water in also.

This was water storage in the basement. New water tanks were installed also.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Part of the reason I did not change them was the striker plate for the latches is mounted on the weatherstrip. Remove the plates, some have already come off, put the new rubber then clamp, drill and remount striker plates. I needed new steel plates, drill press and clamps, which I did not have, I was looking at sluminium striker plates as it was easier to drill by hand.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Tom, I found the striker plates you left. I will do the one door where the strip is loose right away, the others aren't too bad. No big problem. I ordered the rubber strip, should be done soon.

It has rained A LOT lately but Liz has been sorting through all the great stuff you left us. She is going through all the cabinets and storage compartments, having a ball.

We will being going north next weekend for a road trip. Can't wait. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Steve
When I installed new under pans in the Storage compartments I changed all the bulb rubbers. As Tom mentioned the spring plates need to be removed in most cases. Not a big job and the new rubber bulb trim replacement will give you the opportunity to remove any rust and repaint.

Ed.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I ordered enough to do the first door. If it is the correct fit I will probably do all doors eventually. Good way to keep them all tight and touch up the flange paint. Good prevention to keep everything dry.

I am looking forward to comparing our coaches. Should be interesting.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
May the Best BM win.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I am interested in your basement AC/heat pump. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp