Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel tank out again
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Some of you may remember that I took out the fuel tank of the Breakaway to try to improve the filling rate. I basically moved the filler elbow from the middle of the rear of the tank to the top so that foaming wouldn't shut off the nozzle.

Previous write-up: filler elbow change

This did indeed help a lot but I still had to nurse the last 7-10 gallons to get the fuel to the very top of the filler neck. For some reason, on this last trip, the last two fills, I couldn't get it to take any fuel at all without the nozzle clicking off immediately, I had to jack the front of the coach up in order to get it to take fuel.

Yesterday I removed the tank again and this time I rotated the tank 180 degrees to get the filler up front and eliminate about 3 feet of filler hose and also eliminate two bends in the filler hose. Had to do a few things to get everything hooked up but the tank is in and will take it for a test ride later today.

Hopefully this is that last time I have to do this as it is a real messy job!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
You know, I think the same guy who installed your fuel tank installed my black tank. It is 180 degrees out. They did that on several coaches, and would correct if at the factory. The PO of mine didn't avail himself of that opportunity, so my waste management is, shall we say, interesting.

So, I will someday have to do with my black tank what you are doing with your fuel tank.

I'm gonna drop my fuel tank, too, but just for minor maintenance and pump relocation. No reversing, thank goodness.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WELL, I think we have a winner!!

I filled from 1/2 tank as indicated on the gauge and it continued to take up to about 27 gallons when it clicked off,I immediately started it again at a slow rate and it went to 30 gallons, Took a few moments to have the fuel standing in the filler just below the neck. Fill process was very short for 31 gallons that it took to fill the tank completely.

I am calling this a success but will have more information after the next 9 hour journey to Mohave next Thursday/Friday.

I will do a write up and post that with pictures diagrams so that it is clear what I did to the original system.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a follow on and update:

During the last trip, I filled twice and believe my fill up troubles are over! Starting from 1/2 tank the fill continued to until it was about 4 gallons from full and clicked off. Restarting the fill, took about 2 minutes to bring the fuel standing in the neck. The second fill from less then 1/2 tank, was nearly the same and again clicked off with about 4 gallons left to fill. this time I waited a minute or two to let the foam settle and it came up to the top in about the same amount of time.

This is welcome news as we will be heading off to the East Coast in two weeks. In the five weeks we will be on the road, I expect to re-fill about 25 times, It now takes less then 1/2 the time to refill as it did before.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Golly, you've really earned this success.

BTW, what did you use on the rusty nuts the first time?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used Kroil, use that on most all the rusty stuff and it works well.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I used Kroil, use that on most all the rusty stuff and it works well.

Have you compared it to PB Blaster? I use both, but seem unable to find both cans at the same time, so haven't been able to do a good comparison.

If I can't find either, out comes the muriatic acid. Smiler