Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    exterior lights, etc.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

exterior lights, etc.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi, I'm refurbishing a 1985 Regal and I'm looking for certain parts and pieces.

Does anyone know where to find the small exterior lights? I'm looking for new housings and the orange covers. Also any leads on new red covers for the tail lights?

Posts: 7 | Location: Venice, Ca | Member Since: 06-28-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I got my LED clearance lights from Superbrite. They have a lot of different styles and they are pretty cheep.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Nowadays, it would be foolish to replace the vintage incandescent clearance lamps with the same. LED's are the way to go.

The old teardrops are available many places... most being MUCH more than these, five for twenty bucks at O'Reilly:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/sit...5&pt=N0392&ppt=C0335

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
how many do you need? i have a few.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Greg,
I'm assuming you have the long rectangular tail lights with 2 red (or by now pinkish purple) lens and the "clear" reverse right? The red lens were discontinued from my search last fall and I couldn't find anyone with nos. You could still get the clear lens. Mine were not cracked or falling apart so I bought some red spray paint made for painting lens. They look great and have held up for at least the past 9 months or so. Key is to clean 'em good and prep them according to the instructions. They don't seem to change the amount of light they allow thru either.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Or these if you need markers rather than clearance?
http://www.rvshop.com/Amber-LE...-59-402_p_62378.html

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Note that if you change the parking and taillights to LED, you'll likely need to change the flashers.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning, Greg Brooks and Rusty;

As Rusty indicated, because of the significantly lower current draw required by the LED lights, there may not be enough current flow for the common 224, 550, or 552 turn signal flasher to work. As Rusty said, there are some electronic turn signal flashers that are not "load sensitive."

One other way that many people will chose to go when converting to LED lights for their turn signal system is to add about a 6 Ohm to 20 Ohm resistor with about a 10 Watt or more power rating that is wired in parallel with the LED lights, or the resistor is wired between the turn signal flasher output and the vehicle chassis or ground. This additional load for the turn signal flasher will allow enough additional current to go through the flasher so that it will work properly and flash at the correct rate.

My own preference is for the more modern electronic flasher unit, but they are also a little more expensive. The main benefit of the electronic flash units, like the LED lights, is that they do work with less electricity.

Enjoy;

Ralph
Latté Land, Washington

Posts: 48 | Location: Latté Land, Washington  | Member Since: 12-03-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The electronic flasher for the taillights wasn't happy with the brake lights, so I added an 1157 bulb in parallel (ballast), placed inside the rear access door. This has the advantage of using the parking lights to illuminate that area for checking the P/S level.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post