Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Started working on the trailer today
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Started working on the trailer today
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see it! Thumbs Up That's going to be one of the high points of the GTG!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I can't wait to see it! Thumbs Up That's going to be one of the high points of the GTG!
Exactly what I was thinking... Man, I can hardly wait!!! Thumbs Up

You know something Rusty? William, and the actual brains and brawn behind this refurb... Sherrie herself, will be parked between us! Thumbs Up

I'm going to have to get Sherrie to stop by my Barth so she can give me pointers. Wink

Nice Job Sherrie!!! Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Pointers? Heck, no - I want sanding and refinishing... cheers

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Since returning from Milford I've got a new issue with the trailer. While we were there I noticed a screw backing out under the door, I screwed it back in and didn't really think much of it. I was closing the door yesterday and saw a large gap in the aluminum panel under the door. Looking closer most of the screws across this panel are lose. This panel seems to be a replacement from damage at some point. The panel is attached with screws rather than rivets. It's also attached backwards, the lower panel is attached over the upper panel. I'm guessing the trip to Milford took it's toll on the screws. I'm going to have to work on this, my feeling is that I need to get this panel attached under the upper panel.

The replacement panel seems to go from the wheel all the way to the front. Oddly enough, in the area in front of the door the upper panel is over the lower.

The other side is cleanly riveted with the upper panel over the lower.

One thing that's going to make it tough is that whoever did the repair cut the original panel off just below the rivet line on the upper panel, so I'm not going to have alot to work with unless I take out the rivets in the upper panel.

I'm open to suggestions.

Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Get a strip of thin-gauge aluminum, and use it to extend the top sheet.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StinkyDaddy:
Since returning from Milford I've got a new issue with the trailer. While we were there I noticed a screw backing out under the door, I screwed it back in and didn't really think much of it. I was closing the door yesterday and saw a large gap in the aluminum panel under the door. Looking closer most of the screws across this panel are lose. This panel seems to be a replacement from damage at some point. The panel is attached with screws rather than rivets. It's also attached backwards, the lower panel is attached over the upper panel. I'm guessing the trip to Milford took it's toll on the screws. I'm going to have to work on this, my feeling is that I need to get this panel attached under the upper panel.

The replacement panel seems to go from the wheel all the way to the front. Oddly enough, in the area in front of the door the upper panel is over the lower.

The other side is cleanly riveted with the upper panel over the lower.

One thing that's going to make it tough is that whoever did the repair cut the original panel off just below the rivet line on the upper panel, so I'm not going to have alot to work with unless I take out the rivets in the upper panel.

I'm open to suggestions.

Wm.
looks like someone took panel off for some reason ,and put it back together,are those screws? they kinda look rusty,they should be shiny thats how we like them,i think my motorhome originally had door like yours does ,theres a stopper on side that would keep doorknob from swinging into the side,but door swings opposing way now,(fiddlesticks) lol.

Posts: 73 | Location: mosquito valley ohio(west central ohio) | Member Since: 12-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you could get some rivots in it,and if they hold solid,i wouldnt worry about it,man its what?44 years old think its holding up good,a lesser camper and that piece would be laying along i-69 somewhere by memphis in. Thumbs Up

Posts: 73 | Location: mosquito valley ohio(west central ohio) | Member Since: 12-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Nice job on the trailer. I really like the glass tile and composite sink.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the curved front windows in your trailer glass or plexiglass? I am looking at a 22', but the curved windows are not glass, more like a thick plexiglass. Also, the toilet is on a raised floor, does that seem right, or has it been rigged for some reason? The trailer seems to be very sound structurally, but has been sitting for a while and the smell of rat urine is unbelievable!! I have no idea that I could ever eliminate that odor. I am afraid it has soaked into the plywood flooring. Any ideas?

Posts: 10 | Location: Ocala, Florida | Member Since: 12-28-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeri,

The curved front windows are plexi. Our toilet is on a raised area also. We talked with one of the employees at the Milford GTG who said the black tank is under that platform.

As for the smell, ours was pretty rank at first. My wife scrubbed the interior walls with a bleach water mixture that really helped the smell. We also took out the carpet. And finally when we replaced the ceiling we took out the fiberglass insulation that had critter residue.

We love ours, hope the one you're looking at works out.

Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post