Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Started working on the trailer today
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Started working on the trailer today
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
It's a 24'er. Here's a link to another thread with some info from when we first got the trailer. http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...41087061/m/888105461
We're looking forward to seeing the photos of your trailer.

Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
K & L - still wondering which Gainesville Smiler

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Early Spring and Daylight Savings Time have arrived in Southwest Virginia. I resumed working on the Barth this weekend. I am re-doing the wood cabinets. I am not finished yet, but they look great so far. They are close to their original cherry finish. Pictures to follow soon...my back gave out before I could get it cleaned back up for pictures today.

On another note, we are discussing what to put in for a new ceiling. Suggestions? I would like something bright with light reflective properties. It has to be something thin too, because I can barely stand up in the Barth now.

Sherrie

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You might consider using headliner material. You can call upholstery suppliers and buy it in rolls some is 60 inches wide. It can be applied with a spray gun using contact cement. If you can't buy it direct you can sometimes find a shop that willsell it buy the yard. It comes in all types of materails and colors, but it is not easily cleaned.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Last time I looked, J.C. Whitney carried it, too & I used some to re-do the headliner in a Chevy Suburban several years ago. I also saw some in a local fabric store recently.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, stained and varnished luan, or better, 1/4" oak veneer, might look classy.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Quarter-inch veneer of any kind is pretty heavy, & oak weighs in toward the heaviest.

Door skins run about 1/8" thick, are lighter, & come in smaller, easier to handle panels. Luan is common, & likely still least expensive, but I've seen them in poplar & birch as well. I seem to remember the Barth trailer that entranced me 40+ years ago, had varnished birch paneling, as did the stick & staple TT that was within our pay
grade then.

Thin laminate is another alternative, but I think door skin material would be easier to work with overhead, & perhaps even lighter in weight than laminate. Varnished hardwood paneling would be period correct for a trailer that age.

Thin aircraft plywood is another alternative, but you're getting into real money there.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Olroy,

What the heck are "door skins," and where can we buy them?

Sherrie

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Yesterday at Lowes I bought a 4X8 sheet of 1/8 finish plywood that looked like Birch, but was made in China. It cut beautifully compared to the splintery luan used for under-layment. I don't recall what I paid, but unless you're going to cover it all, pay to get a quality wood if you go that route.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sherrie, "door skins" are 1/8" panels used for hollow-core doors. They're usually sold in sizes smaller than 4'x 8'.

Most interior doors are hollow-core. A frame is built then is "skinned".

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Sherrie, whenever I've bought door skins in the past, I've got 'em from my local lumber yard. Haven't tried the big box stores, it's possible they're not in enough demand for the big boys to carry them. Noble 7 might have found something workable, too.

1st month member
posted Hide Post
Another idea for ceiling material is fiberglass sheeting used for tub surrounds(different finishes-smooth and pebbly). It comes in 4'x8' sheets and is about 1/16" thick. You probably would need to contact cement it to 1/8" luan plywood to give it some stability.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of replacing the headliner in my vee-berth and have been through many iterations of design. What I found that I liked best and will probably follow is based on a headliner used by a yacht maker in Canada. What they did was place industrial velcro on the cabin top supports then made panels that were about 18" square that fit tightly and have the other side of velcro. These fit together giving a diamond pattern that nearly looks interlocking. The big advantage is that any future need to run wiring does not require major tear down of the head liner.
I am planning on adding lighting and speakers into the overhead panels so options for access is a high priority. The panels will be the thin luan with batting then the headliner material.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
There is also a wainscot panel 4X8X 1/8 thick. I used a lot of it in my NH house and it looks like real paneled wainscot. The grooves also make it easier to bend around radiuses as long as the panel is aligned properly (with the slats running the length of the rig).

Another idea, tin ceiling panels!!! Be creative and mix and match.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Hey,...tin ceiling pannels....thats a idea I might use on my project. Smiler

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post