Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Tires
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted
Just purchased six new tires for the Breakaway. I bought Goodyear 8R19.5 G647's for a grand total of $2,099.18. I got these from Goodyear Commercial Tire and Service Center. About $850 cheaper than Camping World for the same tire. Actually I only got the two quotes, I wanted to get pricing on Bridgestone and Michelin but never did. I was happy (or as happy as you can be when it comes to spending 2 grand on tires) with Goodyear's pricing.

I saved a little on the install, I just took the wheels and tires and not the motorhome. I replaced the four back tires that were Road Kings 10 years old, they had a couple good size blisters on them. The two front tires were Bridgestone's and they were a whopping 15 years old, shocking I know.

Of course after the service tech looked at my tires, I had to listen to all the horror stories of tires blowing on Motorhomes and the damage it causes. They had a motorhome come in where the tire ripped through the floor on a blowout. I'm sure they've seen it all.

The tires had to be ordered because of the size, it's not a common size used on motorhomes any more. Only took three days to get them, four of them are dated 1415 and the other two are dated 4214.

So he says unless I where them out which nobody does I'm good for ten years.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal. Tooling Along

Once again, we hear of ancient Bridgestone tires that did not fail. Yet, some of the newer ones do fail early. hmm

Whenever I can I bring in loose wheels when I get tires. Sometimes, just to save time (drop them off, pick them up later) It also gives me the chance to look at brakes and suspension, make sure the lug nuts aren't rusted stuck, etc.

In the case of the Barth, I have them dismount the wheels, then I've taken them home to clean and paint. A couple days later I drop the fresh wheels off for mounting and balancing. The tire guys don't mind clean rims at all Thumbs Up I now have all 8 rims painted and tires 2 years old or less.

Now let's get out there and DRIVE these things! Burn them tires like on Dad's station wagon back in the days! Superman

Have Barth, will travel… soon

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bridgestone's looked better than the Road Kings, they called my Road Kings junk. Oh well I knew when I bought it last summer I needed new tires just spent most my time working on it and not going anywhere. I was beginning to think the only reason I owned a Barth was to work on it, first the Regal then the Breakaway. Haha I think we are getting ready to now just like Dads ole station wagon.

Agree on having the wheels off and checking things over, makes it easy to grease the front ball joints. I had to remove both rear calipers and clean all the rust off they were both rusted stuck. Front Brakes look good no problem there, I'm just going to bleed the fluid and roll with it.

Your wheels look great all painted nice and pretty, I was told those wheels are going to be hard to find that size is no longer made. I just washed mine up and took em in.

They balanced my tires by adding a balance compound and not using weights. It was $10 a tire.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased the Bridgestones in 2013. They hold the road very well.

Posts: 20 | Location: Spring Valley, OH | Member Since: 11-29-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmmmm, at 240K on the clock, I am on my third set of tires. All have been 225R19.5 size.

First set Michelins and I did wear them out!, Second set, Michelins XZE load rating "G"and had 3 of 6 tires changed balance dramatically indicating pending tread separation or other possible cord failure issue. One tire went from 2 oz, to over 16 oz in 20K miles. The other two changed but not as dramatically but was continuing to change. I could not keep them in balance!

Third set at 35K miles on them are Bridgestones and it looks like I have a pending tread separation issue on one of those. The outside edge was wearing much faster than the inside edge. The alignment was checked and found to be in spec. Reversed the tire on the wheel and the same edge, now on the inside, is still wearing faster and has developed a wear valley uniformly all the way around in the middle of the the worn edge.

I will be talking to the bridgestone rep soon.

The Bridgestone tires ride softer than the Michelin XZE but of course the load rating of Bridgestone is "F". Handling and steering input is a bit more "vague" with the Bridgestones.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well Got to admit I did think of you after I said that, two round trips from California to Indiana, the trip to Alaska are the big ones I know of.

My fifteen year old Bridgestone's were manufactured in Japan, they looked great never would have thought they were that old.