Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    .
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
check out this Coleman Basement Air Conditioning System at:

http://www.gumpydog.com/Bus/MC...ditioning_system.htm

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I replaced my compressor years ago as it was locked up.
Had my Regency recharged and had cold air for only a short time. Drove back the next day and the local auto AC shop recharged the system and did a complete check.
They found many places in the lines, from the engine (DD 8.2) to the front of the Barth, that had leaks.
They suggested all new AC hoses and did say the new ones would be heavy duty, however their equipment for the hoses was down.
Never had it done and just use the roof top ac's.
I could inquire for you what something like that would cost and what they meant by heavy duty hoses.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Not sure how Barth did it with the diesel rigs, but the AC on the GM coaches was all aftermarket, most of it by ARA, who went out of business in the 90's.

My AC buddy took one look at it and said he wouldn't spend a dime on it. Mostly junk. Cheap hoses, cheap compressor, marginal vents to the coach (let's see you cool a 33 ft coach from only the front dash vents...)

Removing the AC got rid of 1 of the 4 belts on the engine, made the engine easier to get to, and increased airflow through the radiator.

Oh yeah, the Freon 12 needed for my system would cost several hundred dollars, if you could even find it. "Converting" to the new Freon lowers output even more...

I always wondered why they didn't use good old cheap steel lines with minimal rubber connectors to avoid the "biodegradable" rubber stuff.

Good luck with your project! mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Your system is way better than the GM setup. You have multiple cooling coils, excellent. With a good compressor and decent lines you should be good! Thumbs Up

Most of the school buses in MI have no AC... (not needed during summer vacation) Confused

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The issue of dash/rear ac is oneof BTU's. You need 30,000 BTU's and at least 6 total air changes per hour. So compute the volume of space in the coach and then determine the total volume for six changes per hour. That tells you the CFM you need to get from your fans. I made those changes under the following "rules":
1. You have to have a total of 30,000 BTU (32 foot coach, larger means more BTU's) from both evaporators;
2. Your compressor has to have sufficient Cubic Inches of displacement to handle the total volume of freon that must be circulated in the units and the lines. Nippon Denso makes a variety of compressors from under 7ci to over 13ci. The bigger the better. Normal auto and truck a/c use the 5-7ci ones and they are too small;
3. Your condenser (mounted in or under the engine compartment on Regency front entry and in the passenger wheel well area on the mid entry coaches) must be sized for 30,000 BTU or greater;
4. Makes sure your alternator can feed the power required for the multiple fans that cool the condenser- may be as much as 12 amps;
5. Remove and replace every hose line and make sure all lines are crimped. NO screw clamps - they all leak!
6. When converting from R-12 you must replace the expansion valves on both units. You have two separate a/c units in the coach. One up front and the other in the bedroom area. If either one of the valves fail the entire system fails as the units are paralleled and freon will just circulate around the failed valve (unless blocked) and no cooling will occur;
7. Most coaches do not have independent systems so when you turn the dash air on makes sure the AUX Heat switch in the cockpit is also turned on, or the back unit will freeze up and you will risk damage to the frozen unit. There are ways to independently manage the systems but it could be difficult.
I used www.ProAirellc.com for my equipment and have been travelling in Texas and the Southwest without using the roof air at all. Before I made the change I could not cool the coach on the road using one roof unit. Now I don't use either and there has been no change in mpg.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In addition to the benefits of engine cooling, less clutter in the engine compartment, how significant would be the reduction of load on the engine? And, would there be any reduction in resale value since the original equipment was removed? Not sure if anyone buying a Barth is interested in things being exactly as factory supplied vs just working well or better.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Kevin, I meant in a 454. While it's a stout engine, it's not a diesel, for sure.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am activating this thread in order to acquire additional information on replacement of Regency dash air systems. My 90 has the typical ARA system in the front with a rear mounted ARA dual fan condenser(seized). There is no secondary evaporator in the rear of my coach.

I like Tom K's approach to an upgrade which is documented in the forums (do a search under "dash AC"). He used equipment from Pro-Air and sized up all components to provide a huge capacity increase over the stock system.

I have examined Tom's pictures and concluded that the condenser he used was a Frigiking 105. This unit is rated at 40'000 BTU (double the capacity of my unit). It is constructed with Stainless metal and has a dryer receiver mounted on board which means that none needs to be mounted on the evaporator. Tom also used new barrier hosing (Correct for R134A), a new Denso pump with double the capacity of the original and a new commercial evaporator in the front. I have not been able to find out what unit Tom used in the latter application. I assume it is a Frigiging unit since that is what Pro-Air sells. Upon looking at what is available, the best match is the Frigiking 960. It is for dash mounting and has the correct dimensions to fit in the front. Perhaps, if Tom reads this thread, he can provide this information as well as the part number for the new Denso pump.

If any of our members have relevant information, it would be great to have it on this forum.

Also our members should check out "Discount Van-Truck-SUV-RV" on line. The Frigiking units are available there under #650254 for the 105 unit priced at $628 and #651210 for the 960 unit priced at $639. The latter price is excellent since the 960 lists at over $1200.

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Discount Van-Truck-SUV-RV

Maybe think twice about this outfit.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Rusty. I did not check the BBB. It looks like any purchases will be from Pro-Air.

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Discount Van-Truck-SUV-RV

Maybe think twice about this outfit.

THANK YOU, Rusty.
I read some of the eleven complaints from consumers to BBB. I AM CONVINCED to never use the business.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post