Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Advice on sagging headliner over captain's chairs
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Advice on sagging headliner over captain's chairs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
stunning how much the fg looks like ground beef with pink slime confusion

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
No more ground beef. And hopefully, no more smell.

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Update:

AC unit back together and bench tested as working, blowing cold air. Good enough for me to reinstall once ceiling work is finished.

With the headliner sagging badly and the backing foam deteriorated and leaving impressions (lots of threads here on this issue) I debated how to remedy this without going through the trouble of taking down the cabinets, but in the end, the mouse nest problem demanded attention.

I decided to go ahead with complete cabinet removal once I took down the front ceiling panel enough to peek above an find this:

Panels are coming down and removal of existing nests is proceeding. I'm not sure if the insulation was there to begin with, or if the little buggers brought it in because it doesn't appear to have been place everywhere. My first clue was the rooftop AC, and this really goes to show what can happen if a MH is stored w/out taking anti-rodent precautions.

I have more photos to post and I'm at the back of the coach now, but the Barth is off getting mechanical inspection, so I'm stalled for a couple of days. Now I'm wondering (with all the insulation talk going on) if I should put in new fiberglass, solid foam, or other inslulation before replacing the ceiling. And I'm up in the air about material for the new ceiling as well. I've been to Lowes and they have some nice birch wainscot panels that might look nice... I could also cut new luan panels and glue upholstery fabric to it. Choices, choices.

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
our 89 got padded vinyl (kind a sand color) from the factory, easy to clean and does not collect dust and smells. Also keeps it insulated.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
The padded vinyl sounds real nice. On mine the headliner was replaced at some time before I bought the coach. They left the cabinets up, removed all the trim and installed new headliner, whoever did the work did a fantastic job. It took me quite a while before I realized the fabric was a different color then whats in the cabinets and closets. Plus that area sags.

You can buy new headliner material by the yard.

I really like the headliner look, however the padded vinyl sounds like it would look great too.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I had to do this on our SOB before we found our Barth and I chose to install thin wall pvc pipe throughout the ceiling and run all the wires through it. I added 2 extra colored wires (blue and pink) in each and terminated them in the overhead compartments. Then I used unfaced fiberglass batts with spray adhesive (just enough to hold it up) and installed the plastic sheeting with 1/8 foam covered with vinyl screwed to the ceiling trusses. This made for much improved cooling and heating and we have spares if the wiring fails or new equipment requires cabling. Lots of work, but you are half way there now.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I really liked your ideas and used Marvin & Doris and your suggestions (along with a strong vote of approval from Elise) and went with vinyl. While I did glue on the bubble/metallic thin insulation on top, I was running out of time on my vacation and did not do the fiberglass batts and extra wiring.

Here is the ceiling cleaned of nests:

New panels were purchased and cut to size. I used 3M #08090 Yellow Super Adhesive for vinyl and heavy headliners. Trouble was that I used 12 cans of the stuff @ $16 per can. (ouch! head bang ) If I were to do this again, I would go to a custom car interior shop and buy a gallon of the stuff they use and then buy a cheap spray gun. Would have been quicker and maybe even less expensive in the long run. I didn't use any foam backing underneath the vinyl figuring why have it just deteriorate again with age... plus I kind of like the very flat surface of the vinyl glued directly to the wood panel.

Photos of my set-up for gluing the vinyl and the insulated back:

I got the panels all finished in the garage, but had to wait for help to get them up. I continued with other projects, namely the new cooling unit for the fridge. It had finally arrived, so I attended to that. Here are the before and after pics of the refrigerator compartment and the fridge on the dinette seat bottoms waiting for the new cooling unit. I did not take any photos of that process, but wish I had. Fridge is now back in place, but I have not had a chance to test it yet Ooops . Still waiting to get help getting the AC unit back up on the roof.

I got my dad to stop over last Monday and we put the new ceiling panels up. We even got a few of the cabinets back in place and I've been re-wiring this past week. Doors are on and new gas struts have been installed (these work great), but no newer pics than the ones below. More photos as I get the job completely finished.

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

posted Hide Post
FYI - Upholstery shops use Weldwood Contact Cement and thin as directed then sprayed. About $20 per gallon at Walmart. Never apply indoors without a painters mask-the ones with the 2 micron charcoal filters! It will kill you if abused.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
That ceiling looks great! Ditto on the contact cement (and the fumes!)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Great Job!! Really looking nice.

Sounds like you bought a rebuit cooling unit for your fridge, that saved some big bucks.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Nice looking job - well thought out and documented Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kudos. I did want to use contact cement as my adhesive, but I wasn't sure it would hold the vinyl as well. Guess I know now. I did use a respirator while spraying the 3M stuff.

So, I've got everything back together except for the roof AC... does anyone want to drive up to PA and lend me a hand getting the unit back on the roof? Actually, Elise's son is supposed to help... he's an engineer and we should be able to figure something out. Maybe someone has a suggestion, short of renting a crane.

Photos of new ceiling from rear:

I had to add new trim molding around the fridge as that was the only place I cut the existing ceiling panels for removal. I tried to find something that matched the cabinets, but I'm still stumped as to what kind of wood they made this Barth with. I stained some oak cove to a close match and I think it looks okay.

Finally, a picture of a Barth re-modeler's best friend. The driver has a quick release tip, is lightweight and small enough to get into tight spaces. I was frustrated with my 18V. monster drill and one night I went down to Lowes and saw this Bosch unit. I think perhaps it's one of my better tool purchases.

Thanks to all who had fine suggestions while I undertook this enormous project (for me anyway). Hopefully Elise and I will get to take the Barth out for at least a wine trail weekend this fall. And I'm already looking forward to next summer! cheers

1989 22' Regal

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I think your wood look like stained cherry. Great looking job.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Place a 12' extension ladder against the side of the coach with pads to protect the roof area and use a block and tackle or just a rope and pull it up the rails of the ladder. Cover the under side so no damage occurs and then two people can easily get it up. Took us about five minutes.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I used a ladder to slide mine up also. I put the AC in the bed of my pickup, parked in front of the coach. I leaned the ladder from the truck bed to the coach roof. Two of us were able to slide the AC up the ladder (AC was still on the wooden pallet and we slid it up on a piece of carpet.) Same thing worked for my spare tire...

What a nice looking lob on the ceiling! Massive job indeed. I think you've qualified for the Barth "crazy man project of the month/year" status! mechanic
I'm thinking you're already a Barth junkie... we got ya! (You know, you can actually DRIVE these things, too!) Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post