Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Serpentine belt conversion for 454
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted
Has anyone done a serpentine belt conversion?

Chevrolet makes all the parts needed. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19417728
We would have to confirm that the PS pump is up to the task of working a hydroboost system.

Kwikperf makes adapter brackets to mount small block serpentine systems on a big block engine.
http://www.kwikperf.com/bbc_serp_kit.html
The sourcing of the other parts is up to the buyer.

Neither supports the use of the smog pump. I am in Massachusetts I seem to be under the impression that I am required to have those, as they were original equipment, and there are emissions and inspection rules. I will need to confirm this.

I have seen a picture of a serpentine setup on a 1990 Suburban with a 454, and it had a smog pump.

I have the parts off the front of my engine now. The "maintainability" of the 4 belt system on the 1986 engine leaves something to be desired.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok....I tried and never came up with a good solution other than a complete junk yard set up off a newer engine. Then if you find one, you will also need to get a reverse direction water pump. I ended up with a Gilmer belt system and completely discarded the two AIR pumps on my 81 engine set up. I would not use a serpentine set up that does not include an idler. The power steering pump will probably keep a v-belt.
Good luck!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duane88, you have some good ideas. On my Barth, what with having everything off the front of the engine, I was going to install a new waterpump anyway.

I found a picture of the serpentine setup on a 1999 Suburban, and it drives everything including an AIR pump. The brakes system on the Suburban was hydroboost. I think that the 3500HD had a pump that would also fit here and might be higher capacity. This setup was used from 1995 to 2000. There is also a variant without the AIR pump.

But you raise a good point, and that is, can we get a second belt on the hydroboost pump, or a v belt there. I don't have a ready answer on that.

When I look at Rockauto.com, I can learn that the 1999 P30 Chassis had a serpentine setup, and the power steering pump used a single serpentine pulley. I don't find evidence of an AIR pump on this. But I take this to mean that Chevrolet designers had "double v belt" confidence in a single serpentine belt, at least as long as proper replacement intervals are managed. The "Heavy Duty" version of the belt is the one to use.

Happy Motoring, and Happy Wrenching,
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Vortec 1999 Belt

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I used to break V-Belts like crazy less than 100 miles..The Gilmer belt seems to have eliminated that, there is a pulley groove on the crank shaft pulley for a V-belt to the Power steering pump. That belt comes loose a lot and squeaks like a banshee on occasion. but does not seem to break. But no AIR pump anymore, if you can get away without them (it) you will get a good gas savings. The power steering pump and power brake combination is marginal at low speed RPM anyway, even though the new set up has a smaller pulley on the crank, it did not affect the performance of the brakes or steering. The A/C dash system was in the way and did not have much cooling capacity either so it is gone too it was a R-12 system converted to R-134a compressor was probably going soon.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in the past year, I came in to ownership of the serpentine system for the 1999 454. I didn't take any efforts at this point to install it, I needed to learn more about how to utilize it.

The picture in my prior post has an error in it. The idler pulley between the alternator and the AC compressor is missing. Another possible error is regarding the routing of the belth.

The picture in my prior post also has the AIR pump. It is a very rare item, in that year, it turns out that it is "California emissions" only. The AIR pump is unusual, it has an electric clutch. I've read that engine versions with the AIR pump have a 140A alternator instead of a 124A alternator.

If I were to run this and run an AIR pump, I'd want to see if I could make brackets to get my present lower AIR pump running in that position, with no clutch. My reason for wanting this, is I can foresee that Massachusetts "authorities" are going to mandate such hardware on all vehicles, at least over a certain gross weight.

I found a picture of the "49 State" version of the 454 serpentine belt system. There are a few different styles of alternator used, with fans inside and fans outside. I don't know that I am going to do this, but I wanted to write it down in case it helps someone else. The picture is of a 1998 L29 454. The L29 has higher compression heads, and other changes, but the accessory hole positions in the ends of the heads are consistent with the Mark IV big block. It's worth noting that the L29 engine has the water pump run in the reverse direction, as compared to the variants like mine from the 1980s.

Matt

Chevrolet 454

1998 L29 engine