Tools
Reply To This Topic

Aux Heater for 86 Regal
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
One of the down sides of the GM gassers is the HVAC system. Compared to a diesel with multiple heaters with heaters throughout the coach, the AC and the heat is limited to the dash vents only.

Since the AC on my Regal was a Freon 12 system with 4 belts that barely worked, I just got rid of it and I use the roof AC on the generator. With the Honda generator I hardly know it's running.

Anyway, I still have very marginal engine/dash heat. I can and have used the propane furnaces running down the road but it is still marginal. It irks me to have the engine making lots of heat and having to burn propane, too.

This latest winter deep freeze had me thinking more than ever about an additional engine heater.

There is a heat duct for the propane heater under the couch, right behind the driver. I was thinking it would be nice to put the heater under the sofa and put an additional vent blowing towards the driver.

All theoretical, then along comes Kevin's Salvage Parts with some heater cores, fans and a complete heater box. So that got me thinking some more... it warmed up to 15 degrees today...

Old Ford heater system, plenum, blower and core. (Thanks Kevin!) Thumbs Up

Cleaned up pretty well.

Looks like it will fit under the sofa.

I turned the existing vent 180 degrees, put on a short elbow. Drilled hole through bulkhead for driver vent. Built prototype wooden plenum.

The old heater vent hose reattaches to the plenum cover.

I need to get a cover grill for the new vent. It works great, blows air right at driver's feet.

Now that is done I still have to mount the heater and blower box to the bulkhead, run the water lines from the engine heater loop, then wire 12V to the fan motor! Getting closer! mechanic

Hey no wisecracks about the high quality cabinet joinery... It was 15 degrees, my reading glasses are fogged and my hands are numb and alcohol may have been a factor... Besides, it is a prototype! ROTFLMAO
More to follow. Have Barth, will travel, soon.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5184 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, Gassers aren't the only ones with crappy heating. My Breakaway only has a propane heater and dash heater. Original vents were not enough and the propane furnace burned a hole thru the plenum.

The new one is better, two stage but barely keeps up with demands when OAT is below 35 degrees. Lack of or crappy insulation doesn't help.

The diesel is 25 feet behind the front heater and engine runs at 180 degrees, coolant not very hot when it exits the heater.

A/C same as yours, Dash unit crapped out and now use the roof air, BUT that uses a LOT of propane to run the generator!! One day i will upgrade it all much like what Tom has done.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check your system for a booster pmup located in the hot water line! My heat was the same until I found the booster pump was dead. Replaced it and suddenly heat from all the dash outlets. The rear system also improved markedly.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom, NOPE no booster pump on mine. I replaced all the heater hoses just after I bought it and would have found it then. I have thought about adding a booster pump but haven't got round toit!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kevin: I replaced the entire system with a Carrier unit built for ambulances and airport shuttles and it mounts inside the coach. That required I eliminate the air faucet in the Barth system but after about three cycles the normal operation purged the air. The biggest alteration is the system does not blend inside and outside air. It only uses inside air, just the same as running the a/c on Max. Never thought
leaking outside air into the coach was a good idea anyway. Mwrench's post on the booster pump was the final solution, I never even thought to look for one until he detailed his work. Thanks for that!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re-reading the previous post I apparently got the answer from someone other than Mwrench, though his rear engine diesel may still have a booster, or, one can easily be added.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Steve,
Only thing I would add is a cable operated shut off valve on the heater core feed or in line. Locate it as close to the engine as possible. It should not need a by-pass. It is a simple on off valve that can regulate temperature by regulating coolant flow to the heater core.

Way ahead! Take a close look at the first photo of the heater box... notice the cable and the valve lying on top of the plenum.

It is the original Barth/GM inline valve. GM recommends a bypass on the heater loop (for air purging?) Originally, the water heater had a bypass loop to heat water from the engine. I removed the loop for several reasons: the water was 200 degrees, I rarely use hot water on the road, and Barth used heater HOSE for the loop... about 25 feet or so.

The thought of a coolant leak underneath where I couldn't see or smell it and the obligation to change the hoses every few years wasn't appealing. I removed the loop but then had to install the bypass style valve on the heater loop. Soo... there already is a bypass and I can reuse the inline valve.

When I get the system routed, I will use insulated copper pipe for the main lines with short hose jumpers at the ends. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5184 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
CO₂, is a refrigerant of the future.

http://www.carrier.com/carrier...ion-innovative-story

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Got the system together in the nick of time. Leaving tomorrow morning, heading south finally. Weatherman says it will be 0 degrees in the morning.

I ran heater hoses and connected them to the engine heater loop. Wired 12v to the blower. Started engine, warmed it up, WOW. This thing blows LOTS of HOT air, under driver and even back feeds the other vents to the kitchen! Thumbs Up

We will road test tomorrow. A good cold day to see how well it works. It will be the coldest I have driven 86Barth so far.

I will post pictures of the latest version as soon as I can.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Steve & Liz,
Drive Safe and be warmmmmmmmm! Nice project. Worked on getting the heater defroster system before DBarth went down for its winter nap.

They sell a couple of premade units. Heat cores with a fan and either grates or duct ports in a metal or plastic housing.

Safe Trip

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing you next week. Currently on Orlando looking for the warm weather. See you in Everglades City. Tom and Nancy and Donna and I chasing sunshine.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Going to 74 F near Savannah GA today. Beautiful day to burn all that debris left behind from the icestorm. Superman
No heater needed here Smiler

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Left Kalkaska las Sat Am at 3 degrees. 86Barth fired right up, and "Kevin's heater" worked great. We had lots of heat. Ran 10 hours to northern KY, stopped for the night. Sun AM woke to 15 degrees and 1/2 inch of new snow. Ran 9 hours to southern Georgia. 50 degrees that morning, sweet! 6 hours to northern Florida on Mon, then 5 hours to Jensen Beach on Tues. Hard to deal with the change...3 degrees Sat AM and 80 degrees by Tues!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that you made it out of the deep freeze to a place where it isn't dangerous to life and limb to work on your Barth. Have a great Spring.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Semifinal version... got the heater hoses hooked up in 10 degree weather. You think icewater is cold, try spilling 10 degree antifreeze on your fingers... numb in about 15 seconds. Still need to run a proper power switch to the dash.

Since the only place I could run the hoses was near the driver I didn't need a remote valve to regulate the heat. Too cold to foam around the holes for the hoses, will do so here in a few days.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp