Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 Mini starter
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
The weather here in the Keys just screams for shadetree mechanics to work on their favorite motor home...

Modern starters are amazing. Between permanent magnets and gear reduction, they are smaller, lighter and more powerful than ever.
A few years ago I replaced the 18 lb starter in my airplane with a new one weighing 7.6 lbs! Got me thinking... hmm

The starter on Barth was OK most of the time, only twice I had slow cranking when hot. It was a real pain to get at the wires tucked between the engine, heat shield and headers. I had to remove the starter to get at the wires and vice versa to reinstall. A real PITA

I bought a new starter. Tuff Stuff 6550B made in Cleveland, Ohio (Summit #TFF-6550B). Is much smaller, way lighter. Good for up to 11:1 compression.

Another great feature: the starter mount has many holes that allow you to rotate the solenoid any place it fits best.

I rotated the solenoid so that it is now hanging down. The wires are easy to attach after the starter is in and they are well clear of the hot pipes now.

It even starts the engine! (cranks about as fast as before, supposedly less current, though) I was a bit leery since this starter has 10 teeth, the old one had 9, but the starter manufacturer said it would work on either small or big block Chevy with 12¾" (153 teeth) or 14" (168 teeth) flywheel. So far it works great, I'll report when it has been heat soaked and road tested. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Finally got the pics through Photobucket. Took quite a while... Anyway, I like this starter, way easier to install and connect.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Hey, Mister, don't be scratching those beautiful headers messing around with that starter and stuff
mechanic

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
yeah, I'm going to have to wash my hands BEFORE I work on the engine. Now if I could just get some good Harley chrome on the engine, too, I'd have a real showpiece! mechanic

Just wait till I get to my dream project in a few more miles: Chevy 454 HO crate motor, 425 hp and 500 lb/ft of torque with new 480LE overdrive trans... confusion

This Barth addiction just won't stop. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think we may have an auction item at Milford III. Winner trades coaches with SteveVW for a year - wonder how many things he'll fix or upgrade! mechanic

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I use a Delco mini starter on my 502. I favor the Delco because parts are available.

It will start the 502 (which has a LOT of advance) with a 750cc motorcycle battery.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I think we may have an auction item at Milford III. Winner trades coaches with SteveVW for a year - wonder how many things he'll fix or upgrade!

Oh man, does this mean I have to study Cummins, Cats and air brakes, too? confusion

I figured someday when the Regal is mostly done I might need a diesel pusher to round out the stable, but... hmm

Oh well, it's a dirty job (literally!) but I guess someone has to do it... mechanic ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Tried to put the mini starter on the new reverse rotation engine in the boat two years ago since that was the only way to install the engine/trans as coupled. The new starters are not available in reverse rotation. Took it all apart put the older flywheel and starter on the new engine.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh man, does this mean I have to study Cummins, Cats and air brakes, too?

Yes

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Tried to put the mini starter on the new reverse rotation engine in the boat two years ago since that was the only way to install the engine/trans as coupled. The new starters are not available in reverse rotation. Took it all apart put the older flywheel and starter on the new engine.

I'm in a similar spot with my boat. The mini starter works only down in the bilge. The top mount works only with a reverse rotation starter, which is not available from GM in a mini starter

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Steve,

These new type starters are great and they are used in a lot of rods, custom cars and as you know airplanes.
A word of caution I heard from the rodders, if your engine doesn't start right away "DO NOT CONTINUE TO CRANK" as these starters will not hold up to long cranking.
You may know more about this.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of discussion I love to see with project postings! Thanks to all for the feedback. Thumbs Up

I considered the Delco but I'm not sure it can be reclocked to fit in easily.

I have also heard these mini starters will get hot real quick. Manufacturer says 30 secs MAX with at least 2 minutes to cool down.

Fortunately, 86 Barth starts very well. Seems good so far. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

I considered the Delco but I'm not sure it can be reclocked to fit in easily.

My 502 with Thorleys takes the Delco mini very well. Being old school, I still use a heat shield.

quote:
I have also heard these mini starters will get hot real quick.

An MSD unit really makes it fire off. Kinda like the old Bendix Shower of Sparks on aircraft magnetos.

Or a Model T coil, for that matter.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Our starter had the overheating issue. Wouldn't restart until it cooled down issue. Bought a mini from Jim Thomas owner of Smith Auto Repair & Electric out of Washington State. I bought a starter and many electrical parts from him. He walked me through many Barthasaurus electrical issues(all those red wires ^%$#%*_+). I sent him drawings & pictures etc & he was very helpful. If I couldn't get in touch with Bill N I would call Jim.

http://smithae.com/sure-power.html 800-822-0819
503-692-5360

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning, Jim and Tere;

Boy, did you give me a surprise.

In your listing of a source for small engine starters for the Chevrolet 454 cid V8 gasoline engine, you listed as a source for those starters and other electrical supplies for Recreational Vehicles (including motor homes) as one in Washington state; Smith Auto Repair and Electric.

While reading that, I was thinking; "I recognize that business name." When I checked, sure enough, that is Smith Auto Repair and Electric on the West side of South 3rd Avenue just South of West Yakima Avenue in Yakima, Washington.

However, for people who may be trying to contact them, there is an error in the listing on their web site for the regular direct dial telephone number for calling them. The 1-800 number is correct. THE 1-509-453-8295 NUMBER IS WRONG.

The correct direct dial telephone number is:

1-509-453-8275

This should not be a problem for too much longer, because they are working on updating their web site or web page at this time. Now they also know about the conflict with the listed direct dial telephone number on their web site.

Enjoy;

Ralph, Latté Land, Washington

Posts: 48 | Location: Latté Land, Washington  | Member Since: 12-03-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post