Forums    MAHEM    Getting out of the RV lifestyle.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Getting out of the RV lifestyle.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Deb and I are on our secound Barth. We had the 1982 35 Regency for 13 years and I loved it. We travelled in it. Took it to the races. I used it instead of a motel when I was working out of town and when I was home it turned into a guest house for visitors. The new owner got it for a good price and he is restoring it. It's 31 years old.
I am doing the same with the 38' Monarch. I agree it's not a great financial investment, but it is a way of getting out and enjoying yourself, meeting new people and in some cases like mine I can save a few dollars when I use for work. It's one of the newer ones out there but it's still 16 years old.
To Deb and I it's worth the cost to keep it running and so far to date that hasn't been too much thanks to my insurance company.

Enjoy them while you can.

ED.
I just offered the coach and Jeep together to an individual for $55K. If anyone else is interested, first one with a cashier's check gets the combo. The coach is still located in central Utah but will be moved to southern California mid-September when we move into our new house.

Mike Cebula
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
I see more RV's parked next to houses in the country than I see parked in cities (excluding zoning).

I lived in the woods, built a pond good for swimming, fishing and ice skating, had ski trails thru the woods, deer hunting, etc.

During that time I had 2 RV's and took the kids and friends and Grandma all over the USA and Alaska.

I lived in a beautiful house and area, but it was such good fun to get away with the family and look at other stuff.

Now I am retired, I live in Thailand very close to the beach, my RV (38' Barth) now Razzer in Florida, next Stop NJ, then NE, then Canada over the next few years.

I have had this for 6 years now and it has been a blast, and expensive considering Airfare, but worth it to me.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
Tom
Where in florida will you be with Your Barth. The two coaches look like twins. we should get a picture.

ED.
Picture of Tom Loughney
I will be in Palm coast, Bulow RV for about a month, then near Ft Meyers for a few weeks. A bit of here and there, very short trip this year.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
Tom: What is the Thailand story? was in and out with the US Navy over ten years, beautiful place and great people. Fortunately we always had a Mormon translator with us, great golf and food.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny
Picture of Tom Loughney
I retired D'oh in Seattle in 1998, too cold and not the same place as working there, went to Thailand, did some internet export selling, with a dial up modem, got hooked up with a Consultant and did Engineering Process control stuff for a while, changed to Teaching English, got involved with a Handicapped school, sold real-estate, built a house, got a few dogs, and before I knew it 15 years had whizzed past.

Worked/traveled in 76 countries wound up in thailand, had a long list of things I don't like, but nothing that wants me to leave.

Food, climate and the culture are key, mostly that Thai's like older people. Bosses are always older, mentors are older and with no SS they take care of Mom and Dad. Strong family stuff here. A Thai family can descend like a swarm of locusts and leave just a quickly after a rousing good time.

Due to the heat life starts after dusk and the streets and markets and restaurants and bars are full of life and people, as compared to much of the USA where after dark, everything is dark.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
Unless you have plans to continue with an RV I would suggest renting. The owner will have to have it fully operational, rather than as is for sale. If you buy it you will likely be faced with numerous maintenance issues, be sure to have it thoroghly inspected.

At least here in the states, resale of RVs is usuallly not profitable at all.

Good luck, enjoy your travels. Sounds lke a great job to me.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp