Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Detroit 8.2L Fuel Pincher advice requested
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
It seams all the bad head gaskets and head failures were a result of over heating. We use a Chevy flatbed with this 8.2 in it for our water truck at our MX track. I have tried to make sure that every one operating it understands to never let it get hot. Been a good truck so far.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
I can add my second-hand info on this...............all my truck and RV friends echo the overheat warning, also saying it is a decent engine.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
Picture of Bob Kopicki
I am very encouraged by the replies I received in this thread. It would seem that keeping the engine at normal operating temperature is the key. That would also seem to explain why marine versions of this engine are considered solid engines....they don't have a radiator to get plugged up. I will be switching to DexCool this fall when I install a block heater.

Thank you to all who replied!

Bob