Tools
Reply To This Topic

Got the built in vac put in today
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
One would think a 43' RV would offer tons of room for installing a small central vac (Eureka), but the truth is this turned out to be one of the more challenging installations I've done to date.

One issue is the need to get the vac somewhere in the middle of the vehicle since the hose can then reach to each end of the rig. The location needs to be as close to where the plug in receptacle is to be located in the main cabin. In my case, I wanted a toe kick pan which meant I needed to find a place the would allow that to be located nearby too.

In the LXi, the Inverter compartment offers a great spot to mount the vac unit on the shelf above the inverters. I wanted it outside to aid in changing the dust bag without the mess inside. This area also has the 110V plug close by to power the vac.

The next step was to choose the location for the vac receptacle and kick pan. Just about the only place in my rig was the location I chose next to the fridge. The problem was the space behind the wall was just a few inches deep due to another panel of plywood being mounted to carry the rails for the drawer under the fridge. The good news was the whole area is covered by a carpeted panel which allowed drilling test holes for measuring and probing. I found there was just enough room, and I mean barely. You can see that I had to cut quite a few holes to squeeze the fittings and piping behind the wall, but in the end this worked well as the space keeps everything nicely protected.

I had to cut a hole down through the floor, WOW! these Bluebirds really are built tough. Look at the layers! Two layers of 1/2" plywood, a layer of cork and a sheet metal layer.

Then it was a matter of half the day fitting pipes, gluing pipes, running to the vac store for fittings, more gluing, running wires, cutting out the carpeted face plate and bolting things back together.

The result is a great installation. We had the same setup I installed in our last RV and it is so much nicer not having to carry a full size vacuum. The sweep pan is a must have as the dogs are always shedding.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I wish you had mentioned your project earlier; I have several pipes and fittings left over from installing the central vac at the house. The ells have a gentler sweep, and the tubing is molded to be exceptionally smooth on the inside. But you're off the hook with Cheri, so that's what counts.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
Actually, I used all vac pipe on this. I chose the more severe bends because I had such a small space to work in and the sweeping 90s would have not worked in getting the toe kick and plug-in receptacle so tight vertically. The run is only about 2 feet, so I think I'll be OK. This thing really Sucks!

Thanks for the thought though Rusty. Maybe with your parts and my leftovers someone else will want to do this job and we can help them out. Because I have allergies, I've put central vacs in all my rigs as well as houses. The secret is the exhaust is blown outdoors. The filters in vacs only stop the big chunks. In some cases the vacuuming just spreads the dust around and that would wipe me out Frowner

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
For me, the outside exhaust is a bonus for me. The real benefit was that, having 7 Goldens and 6 cats at one time, I could get two house cleanings before having to empty the tub.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
Nice work Corey. We also really appreciate the unit you installed in your old, our new Barth. It looks and works great and is an excellent upgrade. The toe step dust pan and the ceramic tile in the kitchen make for an easy and quick clean up. We use it alot.

Wally
Wally,

This is the same unit. I liked the one in the Barth so much, I just duplicated the setup. Every RV should have that option in my book.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
Corey, I doubt that you will have much contact with the piping but if you do...
Static electricity build up can be a real eye opener, couldn't pass that up. The build-up will be on the inside of the pipe...mostly. You can install a ground strap to a screw about the length of the thickness of the pipe near the bag end of the discharge. Pre-drill the hole though the pipe and let the screw seal the hole. If you have a hair raising experience when vacuuming then you could also install one at the inlet. Best if they are on the slow side of any bends.
Neat installation.