Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hawkins Motor Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
While surfing to find out what a neighbor bought I discovered it was a 1992 Hawkins Aerosporte II. Checking them on the web they are remarkably similar to the Barth. Gillig chassis, Cummins engines, lots of the same features and materials (but made of fiberglass). They are also "orphans" and they have about 200 members. Wonder if we have enough in common to consider inviting them to future GTG's?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Heck Tom, I even invited friends with a Winnebago to a GTG. Better yet, Danny brings along some relative of his that have an Airstream. I mean, it goes to show, we'll let anybody in on the fun.

And I show up too, worse by the minute..... head bang

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
quote:
I mean, it goes to show, we'll let anybody in on the fun.

Heck! I show up and all I have is a memory. .................and a couple of parts.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/11
Picture of Manuel B
I have been looking at the Hawkins and I have yet to see a single one with any delamination, a well built almost unknown coach.
There is a '92 Aerosport II in Tatum Texas on ebay right now,
quote:
I have been looking at the Hawkins and I have yet to see a single one with any delamination, a well built almost unknown coach.
There is a '92 Aerosport II in Tatum Texas on ebay right now,

Manuel,
It's tempting to think that the Hawkins is of Barth quality because you haven't seen one delaminate, but it's important to understand the technology and materials that lead to delamination. There are three types of fiberglass failures I've seen all related to either bonding or main structure deterioration. I've never seen the fiberglass itself deteriorate structurally. If you hang around boats (which are in a far more severe environment), you will realize fiberglass lasts a very long time.

The three types of deterioration I've seen are 1) the underlying steel structure rusts out, 2) the underlying wood structure rots out, or 3) the bond between the fiberglass and the inner structure fails.

Aluminum inner structures never seem to fail, but fiberglass bonding to it can.

So my question is, what is the Hawkins made out of that makes it able to last?

Barths (aluminum), Newells (aluminum), & Bluebirds (steel), are all metal structures that are riveted together. This technology has proven itself in aircraft for over a century. Even then, there are issues on occasion with dissimilar metals.

I'm not questioning the quality of the Hawkins, but be careful thinking the surface items represent the structural elements.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
http://hmcmotorhomes.homestead.com/HMC_Features.html

Constructed with Quality Craftmanship

From top to bottom, HMC Coaches are designed for
easy maintenance and endurance.

They start with a tubular steel sub floor that surrounds the coach's perimeter.
This is covered with a one-piece vacuum laminated, insulated floor with an aluminum underbelly.

All fiberglass used in HMC coaches is laid-up in their in-house fiberglass
shop for extra thickness and better quality. Sidewalls are constructed with aluminum tube framing and foam block insulation, which is vacuum-laminated between fiberglass, luan, and decor paneling.

HMC's one-piece fiberglass front and rear caps feature smooth, aerodynamic automotive styling, curved windshields, and large triple tall lights for safety. Inside, they install quality oak cabinets made right in their own shop the old-fashioned way by gluing and doweling each piece for beauty and durability.

All this is topped by HMC's exclusive one-piece fiberglass roof with molded-in, non-slip walkways.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB
Gerald,

Good find.

Certainly sounds like they built it as well as could be done for the era.

The two areas I'd be concerned with are the laminating to the aluminum walls and the tubular steel frame. Unless they galvanized the tubes, they will rust out from the inside out. Saw a lot of this in Eagle buses when I was into conversions. Short of driving them in the desert, condensation builds up in those tubes.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
Bertram makes quality fiberglass boats, maybe that is how this one got back to the harbor.

Obviously I need some more practice. Boat was nearly new >$1.5mm
Happy New Year to all
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
Famous for chronic delamination were the Gulfstar yachts - decent designs poorly executed. The best lamination I ever encountered were the CSY 44s. I'll bet Tom Johns recalls those; both were built in the Tampa area.

I looked at several Hawkins when I was shopping for a coach - I don't recall the details, but IIRC, the substructure was sturdy and durable.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
Another cool classic here on CL.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/rvs/2760426891.html

Picture of Manuel B
I really wanted a Barth, but they were out of my price range, so last Tuesday I flew out to Fort Worth and bought this 1990 34' Hawkins, Oshkosh chassis, Ford 460" EFI, http://photobucket.com/TexasHMC
The dealer lied about most items, I got screwed, but that's normal for me because I trust people, dangerous ride home 756 miles with zero air brake pressure, left rear caliper and tire soaked in brake fluid and leaving puddles, leverlers dissconected, wanders around the road, solar panel missing,roof leak at front seam,
And from posting on the HMC forum I've dscovered nobody knows much at all about these, not even the owners, I goofed up.
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Hey Manuel,

Don't be disheartened. You do have a quality coach and it is worth it to fix the little things.

I'd list the items that are the problem. Email the dealer and ask them to fix them. Of course, they won't.

Then, with the avenue of the internet, leave negative responses at every source you can find. File a complaint with Better Business Bureau etc...
Bad reviews on the internet will be some revenge and you might help the next person. Be sure that you only state the actual facts and YOUR OPINION.
Don't libel them. Only state the truthful facts and warn people to cautious and careful.
If the HMC people can't help we do have some coaches on Oskosh chassis and Barther's will "lend a hand" where needed. Calipers, brakes and leaks are nothing new. Eat the elephant one bite at a time, and post your questions for free advice (it is free!)

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
Picture of Manuel B
Thank you very much, I was feeling sick about this, I spoke to the Fort Worth BBB and she gave me some phone numbers to check with, Texas State Atty General, and small claims, the outfit has an "F" rating.
I called Dandy RV and Camping World thinking of paying for a written appraisal of all the things they lied about, Dandy RV said they had never heard of an Oshkosh chassis,(!?) and Camping World is about 100 miles away. I did put a $1,000. deposit on it on my B of A card so I'm going to see if I can file a claim with them,
Thanks again, I feel better.
If you check this site for BillyT and contact him you will find the most knowledgable RV service guy available. He is in Louisiana and could give you the unbiased assessment you might want to determine whether this coach is worth the cost to restore.