Tools
Reply To This Topic

First upgrade on MB-Express is new TVs
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I'll need to post pics later as I'm away on a biz trip. But, I am in the middle of converting the old bulky TVs to LG LED TVs. These are the newest type and use LED technology rather than LCD. The result is the thinnest TV I've ever seen. It probably is 1.5 inches thick!

The next thing I found was how cool the LED TV runs, the LCD are pretty hot on the front screen, but these run very cool. I suppose they use less power as a result which would be handy if I'm on inverter.

The LG 24' model I bought has a ton of inputs for HDMI and more, but it also has a headset port which I used with a connector converter to hook back up the surround sound and aux speakers. It took me a while to figure out how to marry up the old and the new in the A/V equipment. When things went digital, they more or less abandoned the analog connectors. One result is I had to buy a 50' HDMI cord and I'll need to run it down to the back TV so I can pipe satellite back there. With DVD, VCR recorder, high gain power antenna, Shore antenna, HD Digital satellite, Bose surround sound in front, aux speakers in rear, and X-Box 360 all needing to plug and play, it gets mighty complex. If anyone needs help understanding what to buy and the compromises, I feel pretty up on the subject after this project.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Corey,

My Beta VCR has been flashing twelve o'clock since 1997......

H-E-L-P !! Big Grin Sorry
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
Lee.. That's to funny! ROTFLMAO I still have my teenage son show me how to set stuff on my cell phone and no way do I text!!

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB
quote:
My Beta VCR has been flashing twelve o'clock since 1997......

That one's easy, duct tape!

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
Duct Tape !!...........

Dang, why didn't I think of that? Click

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
24' TV - gotta sit way back... hide

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
Oops.....24" inches makes more sense eh?

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Oops.....24" inches makes more sense eh?
So, I take it that the cord is 50" long too?
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
...I had to buy a 50' HDMI cord and I'll need to run it down to the back TV so I can pipe satellite back there.
Your coach is very tiny. hmm

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
quote:
So, I take it that the cord is 50" long too?

I got that one right anyway. Of course, the coach is 43 f-e-e-t long, but those cables only come 50 f-e-e-t and I'll probably need some extra to go around corners.

Why did they put the ' and the " on the same key???

To see if you are paying attention? Smiler
Here are the after shots of my TV upgrade adventure. Couldn't get before shots, but you know the "big box" setup for the analog TVs.

This is the front TV. It doesn't look much different as Bluebird did a nice job hiding the big one in a recessed box with a smoke covering. The weight savings must be a good 40 lbs and the size screen grew from 19" to 24". The new TV is digital with 3 HDMI plug ins, a computer plug in, a component series plug in and a headphone jack outlet. It was important to have multiple HDMI and a component input so I could get two TVs to run off the one Dish Network satellite receiver. I also needed the headphone jack so I could plug into the Bose surround sound system. I used a headphone jack to RCA adapter and then a male to male RCA adapter to get the connection complete.
The LG TVs are very high quality, this one was especially friendly as all the controls are touch screen on the front. This allows a zero tolerance mounting. The bedroom TV was more difficult. Not only did I need to run a HDMI cable 43' down the interior, I needed to trim the box the old TV resided in way down to make room underneath for the LCD TV. I trimmed the box down by removing it, but it was too big to get out of the coach!! I used a sabre saw to cut it in two inside the shower thereby eliminating a big mess. I ten trimmed it down by 12.5 inches. This allowed me to a) cover the roofing trim with the exact box that came out, b)keep the bottom matching trim and light in place, C) re-attach the lighting panel in a similar spot (up a foot), and d) have a nice box to hide connections and keep the peripheral electronics. I still need to trim out the splice and add doors. I'll make a glass door so the remotes work through it.
Here you can see the electronic switch panel moved up a foot with the new box configuration. Additionally you can see the raw wall that needs some new wallpaper or maybe cork-board to finish it. The inside of the much smaller box. Look how thin!! This TV also grew from an analog 19" to a digital 24". I was able to use the same TV in both applications and that way remotes are universal too. A real struggle is to buy the proper mounts for a nice installation. For the rear TV I used a slide bar, removable mount with tilt. It locks down for travel, but is easily removable. It had the added feature of covering all the holes from the box removal where the screws went through. It was overkill, but the best choice cosmetically.
For the front TV I used these new four point pucks that allow easy removal, but require precise installation. They offered the very close mounting so I didn't have a chance to be a "headbanger". I rate this upgrade a 7 on the difficulty scale and an absolute 10 on the outcome scale. I'm really pleased with the results in every aspect.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
Nice work Corey..very,very nice!

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB
Thanks Gerald,

One nice thing about doing these kinds of upgrades is that you get to know your coach much better. I am very impressed with the way the Wanderlodge is built. The steel members are all galvanized and the entire rig is foamed for insulation with a thick melamite skin applied around the interior. All the wire bundles are labeled and tied properly with grounding junctions throughout coated with some red compound. Like a Barth, the beauty is more than skin deep.

A few months back i was reading that somebody is working on a tv that is as thin as a credit card and is flexible enough that it can be rolled up.
I wouldn't doubt that. In HMD technology (Helmet Mounted Displays), there is at least one company that has produced a Liquid Crystal Display film that can be applied to a helmet face shield. It can also be viewed from both sides, but one side is the mirror image. With NANO technology, it will not be long before TV will be a biological spray!