Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Common as a Tater, but Here it is! '87 Fl##tW@@D
 Login now/Join our community

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Yeah, I know....
But ya gotta start somewhere! Actually, Not even mine, yet! But the deal is too darn good from a friend I've known for decades, so here I go!
An ordinary SouthWind from the mid 80s but it has mega upgrades underneath the plywood.
A GM 502 has replaced the orig. 454 at around 170K. A GearVendors OD was recently installed behind the rebuilt TH400. All new Michelin tires less than a year and 5000 mil ago. Suspension has been rebuilt and upgraded with anti-roll bars, new airbags, etc.
That's the stuff I'm interested in! Should make a great tow rigj, eh?
Anyway, no more lurking. I'm an "old stuff" guy from long ago and have some interesting junk to talk about, too.

Cheers!
Dan
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hey Dan. welcome to Barthmobile. You come to the right place for info on P3x chassis. Your going to find there is an addiction to Barths. around here. Many of us would love to have your drive train under our Barths. I am sure you will be more than welcomed to any GTG. Hey that SW would make a great donor vehicle for a worn out Barth. ROTFLMAO

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
I should alert you to the need for adequate trans cooling with the 502. A trans temp gauge will tell you if you have enough cooling capacity.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
Hey, thanks, guys. I'm getting pretty jazzed about this deal. Spend a few hours online doing some diligence. Apparently these coaches have had some serious side wall delamination issues. My friend that's selling is a retired Boeing engineer and I'm sure all the maintenance and upkeep have been done by the book and then some. He says it's parked under a roof when it's not on the road. That's a big plus! Seems that faulty top seals on the walls were the cause of the problem. I guess it's pretty obvious if there is a problem.
He wants a newer coach, I like the dinosaurs, myself.
I'll verify the trans cooler installation - I'd bet he's got it rigged and probably with a thermostatic cooling fan, too! He's a "hand's on engineer" that loves upgrades.

Dan
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
quote:
Originally posted by NoBarth:

I'll verify the trans cooler installation -

Dan

Main thing is to have a pan temp gauge. That will tell you if your cooler is adequate or not.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered