Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kinda Shiny
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I think the bar has been raised for you "Polishers" out there. Doug and Lee pay close attention.

1960 18ft Airstream built three years before the first Barth. Notice the chrome reverse wheels, baby moon hubcabs, and wide white wall tires.

The street side and you can see the reflection of "Ugly Betty" with me taking the picture.

Nick
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Wow Nick, I'm impressed! What most folks don't see in the pics is the 2 lbs+ of black aluminum oxide smut in his nose & ears, the totally ruined clothes washer and the 3 tubes of Ben Gay..... Frowner

PS: Had my driveshaft shortened & rebuilt by "our favorite" drivetrain shop in Bladensburg MD....
They had a whole new office with fancy chairs....said it came from Ugly Betty's invoice..... Big Grin
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
I have heard that the early Airstreams have a coat of pure aluminum on the outer skin that makes them polish up better than regular aluminum alloy sheet. If true, you probably cannot get a Barth as shiny as the early Airstreams.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Picture of DougZ
Guys, if you have an misconceptions that my AirStream is ever going to look like that - forget it! My AirStream keeps me dry, keeps me warm, keeps me cool and gives me a place to lay my head. Enuf said.

W4JDZ
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
Guys, if you have an misconceptions that my AirStream is ever going to look like that - forget it!
Wimp!!! Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
quote:
you probably cannot get a Barth as shiny as the early Airstreams

Oooh Corey, sounds like you're throwing down a gauntlet here?.... hmm

You're right on - early Airstreams used a much richer aluminum alloy than Barth did, allowing for a higher luster & brilliance....but at the expense of a softer surface that could be marred by not much more than a mean look.... Mad

The alloy used in Barth skin more closely resembles stainless steel when polished. I used to correct folks unfamiliar with the Barth legend, now I just let it pass....I figure no harm, no foul Wink