Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1986 Hawk Motorhome
 Login now/Join our community

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hello. I recently purchased my 1986 Hawk motorhome from a friend who bought it from a friend. He didn't know how to run any of the appliances...ei: heater, hot water heater, ice maker, or things of that nature, so he was unable to give me information. My motorhome is 31 feet long. It has some water damage done by the rear air conditioner leaking, and no one doing any sealing on the roof in the past 5 years. I have gone through and repaired the worse areas myself. I am getting ready to drive it from Idaho to Alaska, and really would like as much information about it as possible. If anyone can help that would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
A short search results in a 31' Hawkins Motorhome, but nothing named Hawk. If yours is a Hawkins you can find lots of information from a Google search and their owners club.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
Hawk is a model of Jayco.
However, I do not see a 1986 Hawk Motorhome by Jayco.
The following site shows downloadable manuals for Jayco. I was unable to download any I tried.
http://cunninghamcampers.com/parts/?page_id=18

The appliances in any RV are rarely proprietary -- almost always standard, generic Suburban, Atwood, etc.
You are brave (any maybe foolish) to figure on driving an old, neglected, unfamiliar motorhome from Idaho to Alaska. Tooling Along Mechanic Tooling Along Mechanic Tooling Along Mechanic
Hi Debbie--I also believe your Hawk was made by the Hawkins Motorhome Company as I looked at a Hawk in the early 90's and remember it well. High quality in a shorter coach length. Often wished I had purchased the Hawk when I was thinking about it. Good luck to you!
I did more research last night and found out that is is a Hawkins Motor Coach. I was able to print out a brochure, however, when it came to the appliances, it just said..refer to appliance manual...lol
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
So much the better...
HAWKINS rather than JAYCO.
The former is a true motor coach.
Google your appliances individually by make and model. At various RV enthusiast and RV dealer sites, you should find downloadable manuals in pdf form.
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
With a little more effort I found that Hawkins did make a model called a Hawk and there is a wealth of information on the club website: www.hmcclub.com. Glancing at their information they are remarkably similar to our Barth, except for the fiberglass over aluminum superstructure. They say that Hawkins layed up their own fiberglass and then used foam insulation followed by luan. This much different that the plastic luan lamination and may not suffer from the delamination most other coaches of the stick and staple type use, even today. Many of their features are shown on their web site and may be exactly what we find in our Barth's including appliances and electrical/mechanical equipment. They also used Gillig and Spartan chassis. Maybe the Grand Poo Bah would consider some sort of sharing of information between the clubs?
Happy trails!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
Debbie,

I have a 37 page manual for HMC units that may be of interest to you. It is in .pdf form and I will be glad to email you a copy. Please send me your email address.

The Hawk was the entry model of the Hawkins line and I think they were made until the mid 1990s when Hawkins went out of business. Most Hawks were less than 34' I think, and could be compared to the Barth Breakaway in that they included high-end counter tops, furniture as well as appliances.

I agree that the trip you mention might be a challenge.

Cantrade

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law