Forums    MAHEM    Anyone with a Detroit 8.2L?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Anyone with a Detroit 8.2L?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bob Kopicki
posted   Report This Post  
Hello all,

I posted this in the Barth forum since I was asking Barth owners about their experience with the Detroit 8.2L engines in their Barth coaches but was redirected here.

I own a 1972 Newell Coach with a 1980 vintage Detroit 8.2L Turbo Diesel engine. I'm looking to communicate with ANYONE who has experience with this engine and is still operating it. I found the Barth website during a search for information.

I've seen a bunch of people write that the engine is a POS or a throw away. This isn't exactly helpful since it is the engine in my coach and will be until it blows up. I'd like to know how to avoid blowing it up in the first place. I've also seen a few people speak positively about the engine if it is operated and maintained properly. Some have said it makes a great marine engine.

Our Newell is just over 19,000lbs with an Allison MT43 transmission and a 2 speed differential. Sometimes we tow a 1981 Honda Accord behind us on a tow dolly. The engine runs GREAT and I'm very happy with how it pulls. I get about 10 to 12 mpg depending on terrain.

This said I get nervous reading all of the negative posts about this engine. Why do the head gaskets fail? Is it due to overheating? Is it vibration? Pushing the engine too hard? Maintenance?

MTU America owns the rights to the engine now, but there are no engineers left who are familiar with the engine. I communicated with them with questions about re-torqueing head bolts and using Dex-Cool coolant as preventative maintenance but really ended up at another dead end.

Are there any Barth people that are willing to communicate their experience with this engine?

I'm also looking for the injector height tool to keep on hand (just in case I find it necessary to change a head gasket).

Thank you so much for your time and advice.

Sincerely,

Bob Kopicki
Massillon OH
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Were there no results using the SEARCH feature (toward top of page) for "Detroit", Detroit 8.2" or simply "8.2" ??
There has been considerable discussion in the past.
Picture of Bob Kopicki
I have conducted a search and read everything on this forum relating the Detroit 8.2L

I have not read anything concerning what coolant anyone has used.

I have not read anything about re-torqueing the head bolts.

I have not read anything about the conditions their engine was running at the time of a failure.

I do not know if anyone is still operating this engine.

I do not know if anyone has an injector height gauge for sale or loan.

As I said in my original post, I am just wanting to make contact with someone that is still operating this engine or has experience operating and maintaining this engine.

Bob
Picture of Mogan David
Good luck, Bob. I understand your anxiety.
Picture of Bob Kopicki
Thank you,

I would just like to find some other people who are operating or have operated and maintained this engine.

It doesn't matter if one is a Barth owner, a Bluebird owner or a Newell owner. If we own a vintage motorhome we're in it because we like vintage machines. I'm not looking for advice relating to my machine specifically, I'm looking for people to share their experience keeping these things running.

Considering that I asked a question about an engine that appears to have been fairly common in Barths and I was asking for people to share their experience with those engines in their Barths, I'm not really sure how that is a Some Other Brand question but I'll jump through whatever hoops are necessary to connect with people with this engine.

Thank you.

Bob
Picture of Mogan David
quote:
appears to have been fairly common in Barths

In the ten years that I have been involved, and based on the ones I considered before getting a Breakaway, the Det 8.2 did NOT seem fairly common.
Picture of Bob Kopicki
Well,

As someone pointed out in the Tech Talk forum, there are 165 hits when conducting a Detroit 8.2 search on this website.

I guess it depends on what your definition of fairly is.
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
quote:
I asked a question about an engine that appears to have been fairly common in Barths

Actually, it's not all that common. Of the estimated 3,000 Barths of all types built, our database extrapolates to about 35-40, all on the MCC chasses Barth bought. Of the 9 or so I know of from forum posts, 7 have had major engine failures; 1 of those has a reman 8.2L and another has a Cat 3208 conversion.

When one considers that only 3 or 4 former or current 8.2L owners are fairly active on the forums, responses may take a while to accumulate.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
Picture of Bob Kopicki
I would really like to not drift too far off topic since I'm simply trying to find someone/anyone with this engine and not debate the whether an engine was common, fairly common or not common. The bottom line is that there are no Bluebirds or Newells that I am aware of that have this engine and there have been some Barths.

I haven't found anyone to communicate with on the Newell forum that is currently operating this engine or at least can share their experience with me about why their engine failed. I was hoping that since there was some discussion on this forum about this engine I might get the opportunity to connect with someone. I certainly don't expect an answer tonight or even in the next week, I just thought I'd throw the topic out to see if anyone would like to communicate with me about their experience with this engine.
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
http://www.toolsource.com/inje...diesel-p-105798.html

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
quote:
I have not read anything concerning what coolant anyone has used.

Big GrinI do not use anything but good old fashioned ethylene glycol Thumbs Up in everything I own. Home heating system, new and old diesels and new and old gassers. I flushed the weasel Thumbs Downjuice in my Ford truck and replaced it with ethylene glycol. I suggest you beef up the cooling capacity and keep the fins clean. Keep the fan(s) running too.
Consider adding a shut down system that either shuts down or warns you with a noisy buzzer and flashing light before it is too late. Tooling Along
Picture of Doug Smiley
Although many on this site are against it---
check out http://www.evanscooling.com/

... it is used by many truckers in Canada

.... Jay Leno has been using Evans in his cars for 16 years

.....Winner of Peking to Paris Rally is ‘waterless’

......An Evans cooled Chevrolet Fangio driven by Phil Garratt and Kieron Brown won the 5th Peking to Paris Motor Rally, the longest and toughest challenge anyone can drive in a vintage or classic car.

......Evans Cooling Systems joins forces with the Honda World Motocross Team~~

..... http://www.evanscooling.com/qu...water/no-overheating

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
Water has excellent specific heat; Evans nowhere specs their products...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Consider adding a shut down system that either shuts down or warns you with a noisy buzzer and flashing light before it is too late. Tooling Along

Many stationary engines have a buzzer or shut down for overheat or low oil pressure. Not a bad idea for a MH.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
I would go with a warning light/buzzer - I wouldn't want a shutdown I didn't initiate.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke