Forums    MAHEM    Not a Barth, but a pretty cool ride for the money!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Not a Barth, but a pretty cool ride for the money!
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/rvs/2295060101.html

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Beautiful, just beautiful. Love them Blue Birds as much as Barth!!! Looks to be a heck of a deal if it is pristine as they say....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
Yep, it's a beauty. One question for you Corey, I don't profess to look at every Bird I go by but I always seem to see the railing at the roofline. I always thought of this as highway ID on a Bluebird. This one doesn't have it.

79 Barth Classic
Very observant Danny.

This is a bit of a lesser bird, a BMC. At one time they were considered the redheaded stepchild, but now they are accepted having stood the test of time. Basically, they are usually smaller, less power, and missing some amenities. I'm not sure what else is different to be honest, but many of the pieces and styles are similar to mine.

Even in the "Big Birds" like mine, there were trim and component variants. In my year there were LX, LXi, and LXi Millenium. On top of that there were different lengths and also slides.

I recently learned that the slide gaskets must be replaced every 5 to six years at about $4000 a pop. Glad I don't have the slides.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
quote:
Beautiful, just beautiful. Love them Blue Birds as much as Barth!!! Looks to be a heck of a deal

Timing is the thing....I guess the reason I cannot now afford it is the same reason it it is at this price. This has enough space for my STUFF I wouldn't need my storage sheds. I could full time. Like they say."dream in one hand and ____ in the other , see which fills faster.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
What is the main differneces between a "Bluebird" and a "BMC Bluebird"?

What kind of chassis and engines do the BMC use?

Is the BMC constructed as well as a "regular Wanderlodge"? Or is the BMC more like a regular Cummins diesel pusher?

Does the BMC have the bus-like, tank-like, structural integrity of the Bluebirds?
quote:
What is the main differneces between a "Bluebird" and a "BMC Bluebird"?

The BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach) was built from 94 to 97 on a Spartan chassis rather than the earlier Blue Bird school bus chassis or the later Blue Bird tour bus chassis. I think they all got Cummins motors, but there could be some Cats out there too. The bigger Wanderlodges would have got a Detroit 8V92 during this era. As with all Wanderlodges, the BMC is a steel body. They seem to have all been single axle too.

What kind of chassis and engines do the BMC use?

see above

Is the BMC constructed as well as a "regular Wanderlodge"? Or is the BMC more like a regular Cummins diesel pusher?

I would say there are mixed feelings on this. Personally, I like the later Wanderlodges due to the bulletproof frame and the Series 60 Detroit 4 cycle. Since earlier than 98 Blue Bird was using the two stroke Detroit, I would actually choose the BMC if nothing else to get the Cummins motor. The BMCs also cut corners on amenities as it was designed to be more of an entry level Wanderlodge. As Danny spotted, things like the aluminum roof rails and walkways were not standard (or probably even available) on BMCs.

I would certainly consider a BMC on par with a Barth of that era. The major differences would be aluminum versus steel and the obvious styling differences.

A few other things I just noticed looking at the pics and specs on the BMC. Much smaller generator and the bay doors are swing out rather than the much more expensive bus type that lift up. Having the bus style bay doors now, I would not want to live with out them. Aside from being really convenient to operate, easy to lift,and out of the way, they simply never leak a drop. I worked endlessly to try to seal my old Barth bay doors without success.

When you look at the prices of Newells, Wanderlodges and Prevosts, it is these structural features that drive the price way up, but also make them worth the extra if affordable to you.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
Think he might have sold this, as he pulled his ad already. Very nice coach, even it is the baby brother of the Wanderlodge.....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned