Forums    MAHEM    ALL I can say is I want one :)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

ALL I can say is I want one :)
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
quote:
I sure wouldn't want to insure the unit because of the risk of sinking...

In the case of the car above, would you buy insurance against it NOT sinking? Because it's supposed to sink.....right....Oh, nevermind D'oh

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
My first thought (I've been in the insurance business for 25 years) was I sure wouldn't want to insure the unit because of the risk of sinking....I then got to thinking, to insure against sinking it would have to be insured as a boat. Most motorhome policies are based off of automobile policies and would not cover sinking/water damage. Interesting scenario....

I was in the insurance business for about 30 years (and did a lot of wet marine). The interesting dilemma is that the "watercraft" policy (vessels 26' and under) is based on the personal auto policy. But a 40' "boat" would have to go under a "yacht" policy, which bears no resemblence to any auto policy.

Covering one of those things would require a manuscript policy at considerable cost, unless an insurer would agree to issue two policies, one for land and one for waterborne.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
How interesting! These kind of situations really test your knowledge.....

It might be fun to email the video to my underwriters and tell them I need a quote....
Ha! Ha!
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
I've been it a coupla times, and it isn't as nice as a Regency inside.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
quote:
insure the unit because of the risk of sinking....

I think most insurance co.s would just write an exception fot yhe water part.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Picture of DougZ
Not that I think anyone on here is nuts enough to buy one of those things, but lets look at the reality of using one in Florida. If you were to take that thing in salt water or even brackish water, think of what it would do to the steering parts, the brake parts, the tires, etc. For those of us who have sacrificed a boat and trailer or two to the sodium gods, we know that this MH would be unsustainable along the coast.

W4JDZ
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
quote:
They have large outboard driven barges that you drive your coach onto and go

A little thread drift, but some related RV/Marine trivia.....from a 1982 RV travel guide - the Camp-A-Float concept:

During the 1970's, they offered this at several inland lakes in FL, GA, NC AR, AZ & CA.

From their brochure: "The CAMP-A-FLOAT Cruiser is a 5-ton boat specifically designed to accommodate recreation vehicles on board, up to 31 feet in length and weighing no more than 9,000 lbs, for conversion to houseboat status. The CAMP-A-FLOAT Crusier is built on twin steel pontoons providing a total displacement of 30,000 lbs. Each 40 foot long pontoon is made from 8 individual sections welded together with addtional bow reinforcement using steel plates and rods. The twin pontoons are connected by 30 steel beams which also support the 38 by 12 foot, 1' thick vinyl clad deck. This are is totally enclosed by 100 feet of safety rails and gates, 28" high. The CAMP-A-FLOAT Cruiser has a 100 gallon sewer tank under the deck and 100 gallon fresh water with a pump to supply water on demand. With your RV connect to the Cruisers services you can CAMP-A-FLOAT without interruption or frequent service stops. The CAMP-A-FLOAT Cruiser is powered by an outboard marine engine which is controlled from a helm stand in the forward corner through rack and pinion steering and a combination throttle and shift lever. With 40 gallons of onboard gasoline you can cruise for up to 20 hours at speeds to 12 miles per hour."

Other tidbits: Powered by 65hp Evinrudes, loading/rigging was done on shore via marine railway & cradle, weight,
balance & trim by installing sand in selected pontoon compartments, 1970's cost: $40/day, $250/wk + fuel.

Neat concept, but apparantly the market didn't support it - only lasted a few years. (I also gotta think that it was an underwriter's nightmare Confused
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
This is pretty cool. Bet ya it was a heck of a lot cheaper than that monster.
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
quote:
Popular Science March 1978 Camp-A-Float

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
Pokin' around checking prices for the St. Johns houseboats, a 53 footer that sleeps 8 [read 6], is $2600 for 7 days, 6 nights. Not cheap, but actually not terrible if this is what you wanted to do for a major vacation.

79 Barth Classic
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Tim&Gayle
I guess to be fair If I had unlimited income

here it is Smiler then just drive to it------or fly ROTFLMAO

OK I took a re-look and this other one is the one only $27,000,000.00 USD
here it is <<<<

alex my grandson
we snuck away over the
holidays for a little fun